Storage Maximiser for Multimedia Workloads
When it comes to big jobs and tight deadlines, you don't want anything to slow your workflow down. The content you create and edit tends to grow the more you work with it; your equipment needs to keep up. The OWC ThunderBay 6 provides an exceptional level of performance to help you meet the demands of your most complex projects.
Room to Move
Whether you're working with tons of small files or editing and streaming the latest 8K or VR footage, ThunderBay 6 enables you to complete your products faster, giving you more time to create. And with dual Thunderbolt 3 ports and a DisplayPort, integrating it into your workstation has never been easier.
ThunderBay 6 features six bays for hot-swappable hard drives or SSDs — or a combination — all housed in a rugged aluminium enclosure with an integrated power supply. Drives run quietly and are kept cool via a whisper quiet fan.
Want even more storage?
To keep your workflow on the cutting edge, we've included an additional slot for an M.2 NVMe SSD to help future-proof your storage needs. NVMe is an incredibly efficient communications interface protocol to properly take advantage of SSD technology and high-performance connection buses. The result is exponentially faster and more efficient SSD storage, ideal for additional storage or a scratch disk.
The better and simpler way to RAID
ThunderBay 6 RAID Ready manages and protects your data with the advanced SoftRAID engine with RAID 0 or 1, depending on whether you need blazing fast performance or robust data protection. SoftRAID is also packed with features from active predictive disk failure monitoring to multiple array volume spanning; SoftRAID from OWC brings technology typically found only in data centres to your workstation or editing bay. It constantly monitors your disks, alerting you when a disk is becoming unreliable and is likely to fail. Replacing a failing disk before it fails saves you precious uptime
ThunderBay 6, coupled with Windows Storage Spaces (available in Windows 10), allows you to create storage pools and simple, mirror or parity spaces based on the mix of data protection and performance you need. If you run low on capacity, just add more ThunderBay units to the storage pool.
Expand and connect as needed
Link up to six Thunderbolt units together with Thunderbolt's daisy-chaining capabilities. Combined with our SoftRAID technology, you can configure a storage solution tailored to your unique workflow. SoftRAID can create volumes that span multiple arrays or generate a nested RAID configuration for even greater performance and protection.
As a member of the OWC external storage line, ThunderBay 6 eliminates bottlenecks in accessing, transferring or archiving your work. Use it with your Thunderbolt 3 equipped Mac or Windows PC to take your workflow to the next level.
Certified, Tested and Backed by OWC
From the seamless aluminium enclosure and slip-resistant feet to the multi-hour drive "burn-in" performance certification procedure ThunderBay 6 is designed and built to the highest standards or reliability and performance. This ensures your ThunderBay 6 arrives operating properly, ready for demanding use.
- Works with 3.5" or 2.5" drives - no adapter needed
- Up to 1500 MB/s of sustained performance
- Supports RAID 0,1 via the advanced SoftRAID engine
- Additional slot for an M.2 NVMe SSD which can be accessed independently
- Daisy chain up to six units
- Rugged, field-tested enclosure
- Whisper-quiet fan and non-skid feet
Compatible with the Macs listed below.
- Software Requirements
- macOS 10.12 or later
- Windows 10 or later
- Hardware Requirements
- Mac or PC featuring Thunderbolt 3 interface
- Mac or PC featuring Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 interface
- 1 x Thunderbolt 3 (JHL6540)
- 1 x DisplayPort
- Max Transfer Rate
- Thunderbolt 3: 40 Gb/s (5000 MB/s)
- JBOD / RAID Support
- JBOD: Utilise each of the six drives independently
- Includes SoftRAID Lite XT with support for RAID 0 and 1
- RAID: Use any Software RAID of your choice to setup for multi-drive performance or data redundancy
- Standard Mechanism
- 6 x 12.0TB Toshiba Enterprise Capacity Hard Disk Drives
- Drive Interface
- M.2 (optional)
- Power Supply
- Internal UL-listed universal auto-switching
- AC input: 100 ~ 240V
- Kensington Lock Slot
- Physical Specifications
- H: 18.4 cm L: 24.1 cm W: 19.7 cm
- Weight: 11.59 kg
What's in the box?
- 1 x 72TB OWC ThunderBay 6-Drive HDD Storage Solution with Dual Thunderbolt 3 Ports
- 1 x Thunderbolt 3 cable
- 1 x External power cable
- 2 x Keys for front panel lock
- 1 x ThunderBay 6 User Guide
- 1 x SoftRAID XT User Guide
- 3 Year Limited Warranty