Storage Maximiser for Multimedia Workloads
When it comes to big jobs and tight deadlines, you don't want anything to slow your workflow down. The content you create and edit tends to grow the more you work with it; your equipment needs to keep up. The OWC ThunderBay 6 provides an exceptional level of performance to help you meet the demands of your most complex projects.
Room to Move
Whether you're working with tons of small files or editing and streaming the latest 8K or VR footage, ThunderBay 6 enables you to complete your products faster, giving you more time to create. And with dual Thunderbolt 3 ports and a DisplayPort, integrating it into your workstation has never been easier.
ThunderBay 6 features six bays for hot-swappable hard drives or SSDs — or a combination — all housed in a rugged aluminium enclosure with an integrated power supply. Drives run quietly and are kept cool via a fan that operates quieter than a whisper
Want even more storage?
To keep your workflow on the cutting edge, we've included an additional slot for an M.2 NVMe SSD to help future-proof your storage needs. NVMe is an incredibly efficient communications interface protocol to properly take advantage of SSD technology and high-performance connection buses. The result is exponentially faster and more efficient SSD storage, ideal for additional storage or a scratch disk.
The better and simpler way to RAID
The RAID version of ThunderBay 6 comes configured for RAID 5, giving you the best combination for maximising disk space, the fastest access speeds plus protection against disk failure. While other RAID levels may give you faster data access, or fail-safe data protection, no other RAID level combines speed, space, and safety so well. SoftRAID is also packed with features from active predictive disk failure monitoring to multiple array volume spanning. SoftRAID from OWC brings technology typically found only in data centres to your workstation or editing bay. It constantly monitors your disks, alerting you when a disk is becoming unreliable and is likely to fail. Replacing a failing disk before it fails saves you precious uptime.
ThunderBay 6, coupled with Windows Storage Spaces (available in Windows 10), allows you to create storage pools and simple, mirror or parity spaces based on the mix of data protection and performance you need. If you run low on capacity, just add more ThunderBay units to the storage pool.
Expand and connect as needed
Link up to six Thunderbolt units together with Thunderbolt's daisy-chaining capabilities. Combined with our SoftRAID technology, you can configure a storage solution tailored to your unique workflow. SoftRAID can create volumes that span multiple arrays or generate a nested RAID configuration for even greater performance and protection.
Certified, Tested and Backed by OWC
From the seamless aluminium enclosure and slip-resistant feet to the multi-hour drive "burn-in" performance certification procedure ThunderBay 6 is designed and built to the highest standards or reliability and performance. This ensures your ThunderBay 6 arrives operating properly, ready for demanding use.
- Works with 3.5" or 2.5" drives - no adapter needed
- Supports RAID 0,1,4,5 and 1+0(10) via the advanced SoftRAID engine
- Optional M.2 NVMe SSD
- Daisy chain up to six units
- Rugged, field-tested enclosure
- Whisper-quiet fan and non-skid feet
Compatible with the devices listed below.
- Software Requirements
- macOS: 10.12 or later
- Windows: 10 or later
- Hardware Requirements
- Mac or PC featuring Thunderbolt 3 interface
- Mac or PC featuring Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 interface
- Interface (Chipset)
- Thunderbolt 3 (JHL6540)
- Max Transfer Rate
- Thunderbolt 3: 40 Gb/s (5000 MB/s)
- JBOD / RAID Support
- JBOD: Utilise each of the six drives independently
- Includes SoftRAID XT with support for RAID 5, 4, 0, 1, and 10
- RAID: Use any Software RAID of your choice to setup for multi-drive performance or data redundancy
- Drives Supported
- 6 x 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s drives or 6 x 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s drives
- SATA revision 3.0 (6Gb/s) compliant
- Compatible with SATA revisions 2.0 (3Gb/s) and 1.0 (1.5Gb/s)
- Drive Interface
- M.2 (optional)
- Internal UL-listed universal auto-switching
- AC input: 100 ~ 240V
- H: 184 mm x L: 241 mm x W: 197 mm
- 5.25 kg
What's in the box?
- 1 x OWC ThunderBay 6 external storage enclosure (drives not included)
- 1 x Thunderbolt 3 cable
- 1 x External power cable
- 2 x Keys for front panel lock
- 1 x User Guide
- 1 x SoftRAID XT software user guide
- 1 Year Limited Warranty