Open Box Sale

Shop brand new products that have had their box opened & save up to 51%
Shop Now
Sign In

Home/Blog/How to Dispose of Electronic Waste
21 Jun 2021 · 3 minutes read
· by Mairead Bond

How to Dispose of Electronic Waste

Disposing of your old or unwanted electronic devices improperly can cause serious damage to the environment.

Before binning your old gadgets, read up on what you can do to sustainably dispose of your items.

Electronic Waste.
E-waste is regarded by the UN as the world's fastest-growing domestic and commercial waste stream. It can include anything from your phone, laptop, kettle and even your fridge.

Only 20% of global e-waste is formally recycled, with the remaining 80% being incinerated or dumped in landfill, producing potentially disastrous consequences for the environment.
Most electronic devices contain toxic and harmful materials such as mercury and lead. When these are incorrectly disposed, they can pollute the air and soil, and seep into water sources.

Read our tips below for methods on clearing out your old gadgets, allowing you to protect the environment while simultaneously decluttering your home.

1. Make Some Cash!
Selling your old items is a great way to get rid of unwanted gadgets.

It’s more environmentally sustainable if items are reused. The second hand economy is super eco-friendly, so rather than adding to landfill, it's best to reuse belongings as much as possible. Not only will you make a bit of cash, but the purchaser will also feel that they got a bargain over buying new.
The way you sell your item is up to you. eBay and FaceBook Marketplace are easy places to privately sell. You could try a tech-buying company such as CeX, who have both a physical store and website.

Just remember, do make sure any personal information is completely removed before you sell anything.

2. Donate.
Donating unwanted electronics will not only help the environment, but you will also be helping out someone who may be in need.

If your item is usable (and you've wiped your personal data), then why not bring it down to a local charity shop? Most are able to accept electronics.
You can also check out WeeeCharity which is a not-for-profit UK registered charity. They deal in the collection and donation of electrical items, which are then reused, recycled or resold back into the community. Any money is donated back into the local community to fund future projects and events, all to help relieve poverty. Donated items can be new, working or end of life - WeeeCharity will take them no matter the condition.

Find our more about WeeeCharity here.

3. Recycling Centres.
If your electronics are completely unusable and you just to want to dispose of them quickly, bringing them to a recycling centre is the best option.
A number of recycling sites accept household e-waste, batteries and packaging for free.
You can use the Recycling Locator from Recycle Now to find the nearest locations to where you live.
Find your closest recycling centres here.

4. Megamac: Zero Waste.
If your laptop is running a bit slower than usual and you're considering completely replacing it, why not think about enhancing your current device with our selection of upgrades instead?

At Megamac, Zero Waste is a key part of our ethos. We believe that a good relationship with technology comes from enhancing and adding value to products, rather than throwing them away.
Here at Megamac you can buy a range of system upgrades including storage, memory and batteries. Just check the compatibility and bring a new lease of life to your device!

Check out our range of products here.
Published 21 Jun 2021 by Mairead Bond
Mairead Bond
Share this article
Share using your device's native controls.
Or to your favorite social network.
Facebook pixel