OWC Mercury Pro LTO Thunderbolt 3 LTO-8 Tape Storage & Archiving Solution + myLTO Software Bundle
M&E professionals, corporations, government branches, and small businesses are all facing the same challenge: how to manage an ever-increasing amount of more complex data. Higher resolution, complex audio, and diverse formats are the project norm. Organisational content is projected to grow 50-70% annually as more data is digitalised. Licensing, regulatory, and compliance requirements are becoming more stringent.
The OWC Mercury Pro LTO is the answer to this challenge. This easily integrated tape backup and archiving solution is a mission-critical requirement for protecting and preserving huge volumes of data for longer periods with familiar drag-and-drop operation, and better economies of scale than disk-based storage. Ruggedly small with a built-in handle, the Mercury Pro LTO is able to go on-set or move among studio, department, or office computers for a shared data protection solution.
Archiving Made Drag and Drop Easy
There’s a priceless convenience of familiarity in using the OWC Mercury Pro LTO to protect your data. By using archiving industry standard Linear Tape Open (LTO) tapes formatted with the Linear Tape File System (LTFS), the tapes can be accessed on your computer just like a hard drive or SSD. Files appear in folders and moving them to and from tape is drag-and-drop easy. Compatibility has never been simpler. Thanks to LTFS, LTO tapes can be read from a Mac, PC, or Linux system so there’s no extra software to buy or proprietary hardware concerns.
Advanced Yet Future-Ready
Because LTFS is an open, cross-platform system, and LTO tape is the dominant archiving medium that has continued to advance since being introduced in 2000, you can be confident knowing you'll be able to access your data with any brand of LTO hardware for decades to come. The Mercury Pro LTO uses the latest 12TB LTO-8 tapes, the previous generation 6TB LTO-7 tapes, and is designed to use future release LTO-9 drives.
Lower Lifetime Costs with Far Greater Life Expectancy
A 10-year Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) Study performed by the Enterprise Strategy Group comparing the costs of long-term storage on disk, LTO tape, and cloud had a staggering revelation. LTO tape-based archiving offers a 577% ROI! That’s because LTO-tape offers the lowest cost per TB storage format combined with the longest life expectancy among all storage options.
Meets Stringent Regulations
Whether you need to keep sensitive data secure during transportation, or ensure irreplaceable data will be archive protected, the OWC Mercury Pro LTO enables healthcare, financial, and related industries to meet strict legal and regulatory procedures for data confidentiality and integrity. Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 256-bit encryption conceals your data from unauthorised access by making it readable only by the Mercury Pro LTO. By using a WORM (Write Once, Ready Many) LTO tape, you can store your data in a non-erasable, non-rewritable format to prevent accidental overwrite or malicious data alteration.
Simple Workflow Integration and Expansion
The Mercury Pro LTO enables you to archive data seamlessly in your workflow via the included Thunderbolt 3 cable connected to your Mac or PC. You can also optionally enhance your workflow by:
- Adding up to a 16TB SATA/SAS HDD or SSD to the 2.5/3.5-inch drive expansion bay for extra storage and backup capacity.
- Connecting a USB 3.0, USB-C, or Thunderbolt 3 device to the Mercury Pro LTO’s second Thunderbolt 3 port for added functionalities.
- Adding a second display with up to 8K resolution via the DisplayPort 1.4 interface.
- Keeping your notebook charged with the 85W Thunderbolt 3 port.
Certified for Demanding Use
We understand having confidence in gear reliability is paramount to creative professionals. That’s why every Mercury Pro LTO solution undergoes a multi-step performance certification prior to shipping. This ensures your archiving solution arrives operating properly and immediately ready for demanding use.
- Store more: up to 12TB native, up to 30TB1 compressed storage capacity per tape cartridge
- Flexible: built-in IBM-LTO-8 drive reads and writes LTO-8 and LTO-7 tapes
- Store longer: up to 30-year tape longevity
- LTFS compatible: archive files/folders with drag and drop ease
- Simple interface: mount, format, and backup to an LTO tape and hard drive simultaneously via included myLTO app
- Secure: supports AES 256-bit encryption for sensitive data
- Compliance ready: supports WORM cartridges required by legal/regulatory record keeping
- Fast tape creation: up to 360MB/s native, up to 900MB/s1 compressed transfer rates
- Configurable: add a SATA/SAS HDD or SSD up to 16TB to the 2.5/3.5-inch drive expansion bay
- Expansive: second Thunderbolt 3 port 3 for adding up to five additional Thunderbolt devices or your choice of a USB-C or DisplayPort device
- See more: DisplayPort 1.4 for connecting up to an 8K display2
- Charge while working: 85W of notebook charging
- Complete: Includes LTO-8 12TB data tape, cleaning tape, and Thunderbolt cable
- LTO Mechanism
- IBM LTO Ultrium 8
- LTO Speed (Max)
- LTO-8: Up to 360MB/s native (900MB/s compressed)
- LTO Media Supported
- LTO-8 / LTO-7
- LTO Media Included
- Fujifilm LTO-8 12TB data cartridge
- LTO Cleaning Media
- LTO Software Included
- myLTO (Imagine Products Inc.)
- Mechanisms Supported
- 2.5 inch SATA drives
- 3.5 inch SATA drives
- 2.5 inch SAS drives
- 3.5 inch SAS drives
- Display Support
- Thunderbolt 3: Up to 5K @ 60Hz via a native Thunderbolt 3 display or 4K @ 60Hz via a Thunderbolt display or a USB-C display adapter
- DisplayPort 1.4: Up to 8K @ 60Hz or 4K @ 120Hz
- Thunderbolt: Intel JHL7440
- BSMI, CE, FCC, RCM, VCCI
- Data Transfer Rate (Maximum)
- Thunderbolt 3 : 40 Gb/s (or 5000 MB/s)
- Mac OS Compatibility
- macOS 10.14 Mojave
- macOS 10.15 Catalina
- PC OS Compatibility
- Windows 10 64-bit Edition
- Mercury Pro LTO will work in Windows 10, but does not support hot plug/unplug during sleep/hibernate modes and may encounter issues.
- Host Port Requirements
- Thunderbolt 3
- Driver Required
- Download Driver Installation of the myLTO application, the Mercury LTO SAS driver, and related components are required before use and require a restart.
- To learn more about myLTO please visit the online manual.
- Power Supply
- Internal UL-listed universal auto-switching power supply
- AC Input
- 90-264V, 47-63Hz, 1.0A-1.8A
- DC Output
- +12V, 16.7A
- 200W Watts
- External Power Adapter
- Power Delivery
- Two Thunderbolt 3 ports, one with 85W Power Delivery, one with 15W Power Delivery.
- Number of Bays
- Device Ports
- (2) Thunderbolt 3 Ports
- (1) DisplayPort Port
- (1) cooling fan
- Security Slot
- Power Button
- Power/Activity LED
- Housing Colour
- Housing Material
- H: 23.2 x L: 29.2 x W: 15.5 cm
What's in the box?
- 1 x OWC Mercury Pro LTO
- 1 x LTO-8 tape (12TB native, 30TB compressed)
- 1 x Cleaning Cartridge
- 1 x myLTO Software
- 1 x Thunderbolt 3 cable
- 1 x Power Cable
- 1 x Quick Start Guide
- 3 Year Limited Warranty