Professional Grade 8-Bay Thunderbolt 3 Storage Enclosure
This latest addition to the popular ThunderBay line, introduced in 2014, now offers eight drive bays for either 2.5-inch or 3.5-inch HDDs and/or SSDs in any combination. The OWC ThunderBay 8 is like a high-performance personal data centre that offers multiple configuration options to suit ever-expanding storage needs. Photo, film and video editors can take advantage of the largest capacity desktop RAID storage solution we’ve ever offered to handle the voracious drive space appetite of RAW, 4K, large format, and VR workflows.
Conquer High Bandwidth Demands
With Thunderbolt 3 offering real-world transfer rates up to 2586MB/s and the ability to RAID together eight SSDs or HDDs, ThunderBay 8’s rugged, field-tested aluminium design has the under-the-hood horsepower needed to conquer high-bandwidth requirements. You can even configure multiple ThunderBay 8 solutions connected via multiple Thunderbolt 3 ports on your Mac or PC to achieve exponential speed increases. Whatever your set up, when you’re racing against a deadline, ThunderBay 8 puts you in the winner’s circle.
Need even more capacity? Daisy-chain up to six of these capacity behemoths together for up to a staggering 768TB. Now you can capture vast amounts of footage from multiple cameras or store vast libraries of production work with a unified and reliable storage solution.
Includes SoftRAID: Easy and Complete Drive Management
Now you can quickly access and robustly protect your data with SoftRAID XT for Mac (Windows coming soon). SoftRAID makes it a breeze to create RAID volumes by helping you through the entire process. With multiple RAID options, you decide what you’re using your RAID volume for and how much space to allocate to it. It's that simple to create your preference of speed and/or redundancy for your data volume.
Swap and Identify Drives Easily
ThunderBay 8 makes it easy to keep large data sets organised for every project thanks to its eight hot swappable drive bays. Whether you’re using 2.5-inch or 3.5-inch HDDs and/or SSDs, the drives mount in alphabetically labeled trays for easy identification and are secured by a thumb screw. If you want the freedom to access an extensive collection of drives quickly, you can create a drive “bullpen” with additional OWC drive trays (sold separately).
As Secure as a Bank Vault
With a locking front panel and security slot on the backside, the ThunderBay 8 is like an ironclad vault l for your data. Plus, with front panel LEDs indicating the status of each drive, you’ll know at a glance if your data is secure.
See More, Do More
ThunderBay 8 isn’t just about high-capacity, high-performance storage. It’s about giving you all the options you need to work at your best. Attach a 5K Thunderbolt display or two 4K displays. Place a USB 3.1 device at the end of a daisy chain. With an extra Thunderbolt 3 port, you have the flexibility to add more devices to your workflow and master any task at hand.
- Up to 2586MB/s real-world tested speed with Thunderbolt 3 port
- Eight hot-swappable universal drive bays: mix or match 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch HDDs and SSDs
- Includes SoftRAID: robust software for creating, monitoring, and managing advanced RAID sets
- See your work: DisplayPort 1.2 for connecting up to a 4K display
- Daisy-chain expansion: second Thunderbolt 3 port for adding up to five additional Thunderbolt devices
- Quick drive swaps: thumb screw release trays
- Plug-and-play ready: no drivers needed and includes Thunderbolt 3 cable
- Thunderbolt certified for Mac and Windows
With eight hot swappable drive bays, OWC Thunderbay 8 offers massive, professional-grade storage capacity in a desktop-sized design. Use mixed drives independently or matched drives as a RAID with SoftRAID. Two Thunderbolt 3 ports breeze through business backups as well as today's highest RAW photo and multi-stream 4K video formats.
Compatible with the devices listed below.
- Mac OS Compatibility
- macOS 10.13 High Sierra, 10.14 Mojave, 10.15 Catalina
- PC OS Compatibility
- Windows 10 64-bit Edition, Windows Server 2016
- (2) Thunderbolt 3 Ports
- (1) DisplayPort
- Number of Bays
- 8 x 3.5"/2.5” SATA
- Housing Material
- Hot Swap Support
- Driver Required
- SoftRAID Only
- Thunderbolt: (1) Intel JHL6540
- SATA Controller: (2) JMicron JMB-585
- RAID Support
- Software (SoftRAID)
- RAID Levels Supported
- RAID 0, RAID 1, JBOD
- Data Transfer Rate (Max)
- Thunderbolt 3 : 40 Gb/s (or 5000 MB/s)
- Display Support
- Supports up to two 4K displays @ 60Hz or one 5K display @ 60Hz
- Thunderbolt 3: Up to 5K @ 60Hz via a native
- Thunderbolt 3 display or 4K @ 60Hz via a Thunderbolt display or a USB-C display adapter
- DisplayPort 1.2: Up to 4K @ 60Hz
- Cooling Fan
- 1 x 92mm cooling fan
- CE, FCC, VCCI, RCM, BSMI
- H: 18 cm x W: 26 cm x L: 24 cm
- 7.3 kg
What's in the box?
- 1 x ThunderBay 8
- 1 x Thunderbolt 3 cable
- 1 x Power cable
- 2 x Keys for front panel lock
- 1 x Quick start guide
- 1 x SoftRAID software bundle
- 1 Year Limited Warranty