Converts Mercury Helios 3S Into a Swappable U.2 NVMe SSD Storage Solution
Speed. Security. Savings. The holy trinity of data storage requirements in production to lab workflow is transformed by the OWC U.2 NVMe Interchange System and its application for the OWC Mercury Helios 3S. By combining a locking drive bay and removable tray, the OWC U.2 NVMe Interchange System turns the Mercury Helios 3S PCIe Expansion chassis (sold separately or as a ready to run bundle) into a time and money-saving swappable U.2 NVMe SSD storage solution for high-performance film production requirements.
Over 6X Faster SSD Performance
The “e” in U.2 NVMe SSDs stands for express…as in PCI Express. It’s a more direct and optimised path to a computer’s processor for the fastest data connection possible. While SATA is the most common consumer-grade SSD connection with up to 6Gb/s transfer rates, U.2 NVMe SSDs are designed to take advantage of the direct connection PCIe technology offers to achieve rates up to 40Gb/s…over 6X faster performance! It’s no wonder U.2 NVMe SSD use began in the enterprise and server market where ROI is defined in nanoseconds and ensuring reliability is paramount.
Now you can rapidly checksum, data transfer, and transcode the day’s shoot into the OWC Mercury Helios 3S, quickly pull the Interchange System tray mounted U.2 NVMe SSD out and send it on to postproduction. Imagine…no more tedious and time-consuming drive enclosure disassembly to access a storage drive and install a new drive.
Save Time and Money While Securing Data
For over three decades, OWC has listened to its customers and created innovative solutions that solved their data storage challenges. The OWC U.2 NVMe Interchange System for Helios 3S continues that rich history with an integrated solution that saves M&E industry professionals time and money while safeguarding their data in three easy setup steps.
- Step 1: Disconnect Thunderbolt 3 cable, loosen enclosure thumbscrews, and install drive bay into Helios 3S’s PCIe slot.
- Step 2: Mount NVMe SSD up to 16TB capacity to the drive tray.
- Step 3: Slide and lock tray into drive bay to secure your data and reconnect Thunderbolt 3 cable.
Need to get that drive to post production on a tight deadline with an equally tight project budget? Just pull the Interchange System drive tray out of the drive bay and ship it to enjoy significant cost savings over shipping a heavy enclosure. Then just swap in another drive with an additional tray (sold separately) to keep your data and projects flowing smoothly and securely.
- Maximum drive performance: Turns Mercury Helios 3S into a swappable U.2 NVMe SSD storage solution that maxes out Thunderbolt 3’s 40Gb/s speed limit…over 6X faster than the fastest SATA SSDs
- Durable solution: Locking drive bay and tray protect U.2 connector from repeated swap wear for improved U.2 NVMe drive longevity and investment
- Store more: Install up to a 16TB U.2 NVMe SSD onto the drive tray
- Keeps drives cool: Utilizes Helios 3S thermally dynamic design and active cooling to reduce heat saturation and throttling
- Use anywhere: Enables U.2 NVMe drive use in the studio or out in the field
- Designed for global workflows: Small, lightweight drives provide dramatically lower production to lab shipping costs vs shipping larger, heavier drives
- Convenient bundle option: pre-installed system ready for your U.2 drive
In this video, we show you how to install the U.2 NVMe Interchange and Carrier Tray in the OWC Mercury Helios 3S.
- Mac OS Compatibility
- macOS 10.14 Mojave or later
- PC OS Compatibility
- Windows 10 32-bit Edition / Windows 10 64-bit Edition
- Hot Swappable
- Hot Pluggable
- Internal Connectivity
- PCIe Version
- PCI Express 3.1 x16
- PCIe Lanes
- H: 12.0 cm x W: 4.5 cm x L: 18.3 cm
What's in the box?
- 1 x U.2 Interchange System bay
- 1 x U.2 Interchange System drive carrier tray
- 2 x Keys
- 1 x Printed Quick Start Guide
- 2 Year Limited Warranty